You're about to opt into YouTube Music, but have some questions about how it's going to work, additional frequently asked questions, and even more questions about payments. The good news is we have some answers!
How it works
The number one thing we hear is "How does this relate to the YouTube we all know and love?"
YouTube music is separate from what you normally see when you go to youtube.com. YouTube Music looks and behaves like a streaming service, similar to Spotify or Apple Music. (Check it out)
That being said, YouTube Music does relate to YouTube in some ways. The number 1 way is "Art Tracks". You will see your tracks listed on YouTube as playable videos that just display your artist name, album title, and track title.
How those art tracks relate to your YouTube Channel depends on whether you have an Official Artist Channel on YouTube Music. Three deliveries through a distributor (that's us!) qualify you for an official artist channel. The real key to making sure that your YouTube Music Official Artist Channel links up correctly to your YouTube Channel is to make sure the music videos on your YouTube Channel are listed in the music category.
Once you have an Official Artist Channel, the art tracks will appear as playlists on your YouTube Channel. You'll also get the sweet music note icon by your name in YouTube Music and on your YouTube Channel.
On to the payment schedule as promised! YouTube Music statements will come in once a month for any streams from the month before, just like what you see with our other partners. For more details on this, check out our article.
Opting in a New Release
When you submit your release for distribution, select the Google Play and YouTube Music option
Opting in a Release Already Live on Google Play
On the distribution page, click "Send to More" then check the box for YouTube Music.
Opting Your Full Catalog
If you'll want all of your releases on YouTube Music, please fill out this form here and we can opt all of them in for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Artist's name isn't clickable or behaving badly: Sometimes it takes a little while for your artist page to populate. If your artist page isn't accessible after 30 days, please submit a request above.
- Will my albums appear as single tracks: Once your Official Artist Channel is all set, your albums will appear as a playlist on your channel on YouTube proper. In YouTube Music, your releases will appear on your artist page under "Album", EPs" or "Singles"
- What is "Various Artists - Topic"?: Various Artists - Topic is the page that stores most of the YouTube Music deliveries. Once you have an official artist channel, tracks under Various Artists - Topic will appear as playlists on your YouTube Channel. Don't worry, art tracks on Various Artists are still eligible for monetization.
- Does YouTube have any resources I can look at: Yes they do! Check out YouTube for Artists here.
- I have three deliveries but I still don't have an Official Artist Channel: Once you meet the criteria for an official artist channel, you can reach out directly to YouTube (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request verification. Be sure to include a brief introduction about yourself, a link to your user-controlled YouTube channel, a link to your YouTube topic channel, and links to at least three official videos. Lastly, be patient while you work with the support team (it can take around a month or more).