Ever notice this field when signing up for an album? What even is the title version, and what is it used for?
Title version information is used to differentiate from the original release of that song with the same name, where specified attributes (e.g. Language of lyrics, Genre, etc...) don't exist.
Please do not enter the title of your release or title of your tracks in the title version fields
- The purpose is to supplement the listener's understanding of the content-- text that adds information that distinguishes your song from similarly titled tracks.
- Use a title version to identity your release is a cover song
- Specific instrumentation (solo accordion version), genre, new mix, live (is actually required if the track is a live performance in from of an audience), remastered, a different language than original.
Take Soundrop artist and super-bearded Leo: He's not a "metal artist" - he is a cover song artist that does metal versions of popular songs that aren't originally in the metal genre. If he were to cover a Slayer song, he shouldn't put "metal version" (as a metal cover of a metal song doesn't require any extra information). But when he's covering "Let It Go" from Frozen, it's perfectly appropriate to put "Metal Version" in the "Title Version" field. Similarly, if he did an acoustic version of Raining Blood, then he could include "Acoustic Version" in the "Title Version" field.
What about different languages? If there are multiple versions of the same song in different languages, using a translated title is good enough and doesn't require the language version in the title version field.
- Duplicate info such as artist name, (there's already a specific place to put your artist name - it's the artist name field) a translation of the title, (see this article for info on how to deliver language localizations for users outside the English speaking world), or clean/explicit (again, indicated elsewhere.)
- "Limited edition" - nothing's limited in the digital world
- "New" (it won't be new forever)
- "Original" or "Original Mix"
- "Re-recorded" (e.g. Journey, Def Leppard)
- Soundtrack Info (this should be in the track title as it's not a version. See the screenshot up-top or click here for soundtrack formatting)
Required when your single or songs are:
- Covers - identifying your version of the release from its original composition
- If it's a new version of your OWN song
- Languages, lyrics, and/or genre - these attributes can also be used as a specifying title version
- Live - if your song is recorded in front of an audience
- Radio Edit (but NOT clean or explicit)
We hope this helps with better understanding the title version information field. When you use it correctly, new and more people will find your music easier and faster than ever!